10.01.2014

Preschoolers and Peace~ Review



I was given the opportunity to Review an ebook written by Mother of 8, Kendra Fletcher from Preschoolers and Peace.  When I told my Husband the title of the book he was a little surprised I would want to read it.  Only because we currently don't have any Preschoolers running through our house. :)  I wanted to read Preschoolers and Peace: Homeschooling older kids with success while loving the little ones at your feet because having a Kiddo on the Spectrum can sometimes feel like you have more then one Preschooler in your home.  I figured hey I'm struggling over here...any help I can get is a Blessing.  So, I was ready to get my cup filled!!

I started out reading this 40+ page book with the intent to get a few pointers and ideas for a smoother day with Kaden.  What I found was much more.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Kendra begins her book with a short story how she let homeschooling define who she was.  I enjoyed reading her story, it instantly put me into the right frame of mind that I needed to start my school year off right.  Her personality radiates through her words, I feel like I personally know her.  I loved that! :)  She made me feel like right now where I'm at is OK, I should have no shame and I'm not alone.  Thank You!


Like I said before, I don't have preschool kiddos but I do have an older child that needs more attention then I am able to give her.  And this is due to having a 7 year old that requires a lot of extra attention.  When he was younger it was easier, I don't know why but it honestly was.  I would say developmentally in many ways he is still 4 or 5.  Some days are harder then others and so much of it depends on the night before, the weather, what he's ate, his mood and whether or not it's a full moon, half moon or any other kind of moon.  Basically there is no rhyme or reason. :)  I know I need some tools that my tool box is missing so here I go, I'm praying Kendra has something for me.  

Here is a quick list of the chapters included in her book.  Through out her book I have to add are some darn adorable pictures too.  And if you are like me and like to take notes while you are reading you will find a handy list of resources at the end of the book.....

What a Homeschooling Mom Needs
Preparing Yourself to Homeschool Older Kids With Little Ones Underfoot

Planning Around Preschoolers

How Do I Keep Them Busy?

What Does a 2-Year-Old's Day Look Like?
How Do I Get Any Preschooling Done?
How Not to Just Kill Time
Circle Time: Or How We Pull the Little Ones In
Preschool Boys
When All of Your Kiddos Are Preschoolers
Preschool Chores
Planning for Preschool
When Mama is Worn Out (or Pregnant)
Meal Planning 101
Final Word of Encouragement 


Here is the main thing I pulled from her book....Prayer is before everything.  Keep your lines of communication open with your Father up above and everything is going to turn out how it's supposed to down here.  Another was Husband needs to come 2nd after God and before your Kids...I have failed this time and time again.  And we have been making this right around here.  I can see a change already in just remembering prayers first and foremost and keeping your relationship strong with your Hubby.  Another Huge one that I so lack in is.....(it kills me to even write it)  Planning.  If you have a schedule your not just floating through the house.  Let me tell you it has become an ART FORM around here to float.  It's like a sport, but it's time to change.  It has to or I will never be able to accomplish what the Lord has planned for me and my whole Family.

The Top 5 things I have already started with the Kiddos 
Family Prayer Binder
The 5 things in the Mornings list
Big Toy Rotation each day of the week
Circle Time
Meal Planning


  Out of my 5 things I've started I can hardly distinguish my Favorite and most helpful.  But, if I did I would say the 2 that's blessed me the most would be the Meal Planing and the 5 things in the morning.  I tweaked both to help us more.  The meal planning may sound easy and natural to you, but to me I struggle people.  It's hard sometimes, especially with all the food restrictions.  But, Kendra showed me how I can make it a whole Family affair.  So, each day and each meal someone takes responsibility of it.  It frees me up for at least 2 meals a day and everyone feels important and involved.  The other huge help has been the 5 things in the morning.  I'm about to have it laminated, but on card stock I have 5 things each Kiddo needs to do before breakfast.  
Kaden's card says....
1. Get Dressed
2.  Use Bathroom and Brush Teeth
3.  Tidy up 1 section of his room
4.  Pray for His Day
5.  Feed and let out Homer

Overall I Loved this Book, I think anyone with little kids, new to homeschooling or has a Kiddo with Special needs would benifit with this little Gem.  


Crew Disclaimer


Click to read Crew Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment